As the title suggests, this is not a real post. Instead, it is a post about what happens when you realize that you have too many things holding you back to move forward with any momentum. Life comes at you much too quickly sometimes and leaves you spinning in circles trying desperately to make sense of it all.
I am certainly not the most organized person, but I am fairly well organized. I have posts tentatively planned months in advance and usually get the outline written weeks ahead. On the weekends, I typically shoot whatever photos I will need for the coming week and complete any projects. Final details and editing happen throughout the week.
This weekend as I began my planning, I realized that I had far too many loose ends to tie up. There were bills to pay, workspaces to organize, dogs to wash, etc. It only took me a few minutes to realize it was time for the dreaded "reboot". It's that time when you have to shut everything down and start over. Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often. When it does, it puts a huge wrinkle in your plans. Nevertheless, it is sometimes the only thing that will work. So, now it is done. I will move forward now with a clearer head and, in some cases, a clearer path.
Today I offer up my 5 top tips for avoiding the "reboot". They are:
- Stay organized - No matter how good your system is, you must put things away when you get them out.
- Have a routine - Get your mind/body in a groove. Count on the same things so you will do them on autopilot even on the days you are not fully committed.
- Plan everyday - Make part of your routine to plan. Either do this in the morning with a cup of coffee or tea before you launch or wrap up your day with a summary of the day and plan for tomorrow.
- Get help from those around you - You mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Some jobs are too big to tackle on your own or small enough that they could be handled by a kid with a little instruction.
- Stay healthy - An illness can set you back days. Get some sort of daily exercise into your plans. Drink lots of water. Get adequate rest.
Sometimes it is still not enough. If all else fails, prepare to reboot. Don't beat yourself up over it. It happens. Everyone has done it before and they will understand. Press the buttons and hope for the best. Until tomorrow...
savour... clean slates.