Banana pudding is one of my favorite desserts. For me, comfort food usually comes in a savory form. This is about as close to sweet comfort food as you can get. This week we decided to try something new. Our banana pudding is generally made with vanilla wafers, but we switched it up with some ChewySoft Chocolate Fudge Cookies instead. The result was amazing.
We made our pudding from scratch, but you could get good results (not as good) from a box. Regardless of the pudding, folding in some fresh whipped cream will guarantee a light and fluffy dessert. The cookies are almost brownie-like. Be sure to make plenty so you can eat them long after the pudding is gone.
savour... sweet comfort
Get the rest after the jump...
Before you start:
In the unlikely event that you get some lumps in your pudding, press it through a food strainer with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula before cooling.
The richness of the pudding will depend slightly on the fat content of your milk. There is already a good amount of fat in the whipping cream. I typically use non-fat milk for the pudding.
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 16 oz heavy whipping cream
- ¼ sugar
- ChewySoft Chocolate Fudge Cookies
- 3 or 4 medium bananas sliced (about 1/4 inch)
- Mix together in a bowl sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Set aside
- Heat milk in saucepan over medium heat until just before boiling (bubbles will form at edge of pan).
- Slowly pour sugar mixture into milk while whisking. Bring back to simmer.
- Slowly pour ½ cup of the hot mixture into beaten egg while whisking vigorously. Pour the egg mixture back into the hot mixture while whisking.
- Bring back to simmer and heat until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap pressing it directly against the pudding.
- Allow to cool and set up in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before using.
- Whip cream and ¼ cup sugar to soft peaks.
- Fold ½ of cream into pudding.
- Place a small amount of pudding on the bottom of your serving container.
- Top with a cookie or layer of crumbled cookie.
- Place banana slices on top of the cookie and top with pudding.
- Add a thin layer of whipped cream and top with crumbled cookie.
- Keep refrigerated.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treat of the Week: Chocolate Banana Pudding: