We are wrapping up Man Week with a very special Treat of the Week. For me, few things are as satisfying as ice cream. This frozen treat isn’t quite ice cream, but it has all of the essential characteristics.
This isn’t our first semifreddo. You may remember Peach Semifreddo from last year. This time we have added the flavors of camping to make it Man Week appropriate. The toasted marshmallow flavor flows throughout and chunks of chocolate and graham cracker make the treat complete. It actually takes very little time to prepare. There is, however, some wait time for it to freeze. Make this on Saturday and leave it in the freezer to surprise Dad on Sunday. You’re sure to become the new favorite.
savour… the good son
Before you start:
The semifreddo is ice cream’s fast Italian cousin. You won’t have to get out your ice cream machine to make it. The air is whipped into the mixture before it freezes. Due to the amount of air, it doesn’t freeze up quite as hard as traditional ice cream… hence the name.
Toasting the marshmallows is essential. It adds a depth that untoasted marshmallow could not.
Be sure to keep the chocolate and graham crackers frozen until ready to fold into the mixture.
Sprinkle some of the left over chocolate and graham crackers on the plate for extra crunch.
- 12 graham crackers
- 4-5 ounces milk chocolate (chopped bar or baking chips)
- 10oz marshmallows (mini or regular size)
- 4 eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 C superfine sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Set oven to broil. Place rack in center of oven.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper by placing one strip lengthwise and one widthwise.
- Line the bottom of a baking sheet with parchment. Place graham crackers in two rows of six with sides touching to form one continuous surface.
- Sprinkle chocolate evenly over crackers.
- Place tray in oven just long enough for the chocolate to begin to melt.
- Remove the crackers and immediately press and smooth the chocolate into the crackers. Transfer to another sheet or cutting board and place in the freezer to firm up.
- Turn the baking sheet over and line the bottom with a silicon mat.
- Spread the marshmallows over the mat taking care to keep them away from the sides of the pan.
- Toast the tops of the marshmallows until golden brown.
- Use a rubber spatula to carefully turn over marshmallow onto itself and toast the bottom of the marshmallow.
- Transfer toasted marshmallow to a blender.
- Place eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a heat proof bowl over a simmering pot of water.
- Using a hand mixer, mix for 10 minutes. Mixture will be light and fluffy.
- Add a quarter of the mixture to the blender and begin mixing. Add another quarter of the egg mixture and mix well.
- Add marshmallow mixture to remaining egg mixture and fold in gently.
- Whip cream to soft peaks.
- Add the marshmallow/egg mixture to the whipped cream in thirds folding in gently after each addition.
- Remove the graham crackers from the freezer and place in a large plastic storage bag. Break into small pieces.
- Add just the pieces of broken graham crackers and chocolate to the cream mixture reserving a bit for garnish. No crumbs. Fold in gently.
- Pour the mixture into the lined loaf pan and cover the surface with plastic wrap.
- Place loaf pan in the freezer for 6 hours or overnight.
- Use the parchment to pull the semifreddo from the loaf pan and cut into slices.
- Serve with a toasted marshmallow and piece of chocolate as a garnish.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Treat of the Week: S'mores Semifreddo: